[Radiance-general] Description of complex glass systems (geometry + material)

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed Apr 29 07:54:32 PDT 2009

Hi Marina,

Yes you want to describe the glass geometry, that is one polygon
representing the multiple layers of the physical makeup. The material is
what should represent the behavior. If you take the output from Optics
and run it through optics2rad you will get a single BRTDfunc material
description. One thing to be careful of is that this is dependent on the
correct orientation (normal) of the glass geometry. I believe that the
normal is supposed to be pointing "into" the interior of the building.
One way to check normal orientation in radiance is to assign
(temporaryily) a "glow" material to the glass geometry and view it. The
sides that are "black" are the back sides of the geometry, the sides
that are not black are the positive normal side.

Regards,

-Jack de Valpine

--
# Jack de Valpine