[Radiance-general] Radiance and irradiation

Giovanni Betti gbetti at fosterandpartners.com
Tue Apr 7 03:54:15 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I am a keen Radiance user since one year now but unfortunatly, not
having access to a Linux machine, I am forced to stick to pc. This is
under a number of aspect quite convenient because being an architect,
all of the other software I use is pc-based and I am totally unnfamiliar
with the linux os. I hope you can help me bearing in mind my type of use
of the software.
I have a couple of questions:

I understand radiance calculates irradiance and then uses a standard
conversion factor Kr=179 lumens/watt. Hence it should be possible to use
it for solar irradiation calculation as well as for light analysis.
My question is, how can I display directly watts/m2 instead of lux?

As well, in order to perform irradiation analysis a sky generated
following the perez-all weather model would be more accurate than just
using the standardCIE skies supported by gensky. I understand there is
an application called gendaylit that does exectly this. From where can I
download a windows version?

Thanks for your help,

Giovanni Betti