[Radiance-general] DAYSIM vs. Radiance illuminance values

Nicolas Roy nicolas.roy at VELUX.com
Wed Sep 24 01:42:44 PDT 2008

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the input. I've used gendaylit and performed the calculations
again, results now show an average difference of 3-4%. I'm glad I could
find an update for gendaylit that supports Cygwin on the Fraunhofer site.

-Nicolas

Jan Wienold <jan.wienold at ise.fraunhofer.de>
Sent by: radiance-general-bounces at radiance-online.org
22-09-2008 16:40
Please respond to
Radiance general discussion <radiance-general at radiance-online.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [Radiance-general] DAYSIM vs. Radiance illuminance values

Hi Nicolas,

Daysim is using the Perez Sky model, so I would use gendaylit instead of
gensky for a comparision.
Secondly, I assume, that you have to use the -R instead of the -r Option,
since you are dealing with irradiance rather than radiance. This is
causing the big difference, I assume.
But  be careful: -R is expecting horizontal direct irradiation, not direct
normal irradiance!

Jan

Nicolas Roy wrote:

Hi,

I'm making a short comparison between illuminance values obtained in
DAYSIM and Radiance for a specific day/time, and the results I obtain show
a  ratherbig difference with Radiance having values twice as high.

I compare the values in the annual illuminance profil (.ill) generated by
DAYSIM, with values I obtained in Radiance for the same day/time. I
defined the Radiance sky description using the "direct normal irradiance"
and the "diffuse horizontal irradiance" values from the climate data used
in DAYSIM.

What can be the source of such large differences?

I use the following in Radiance:

##sky

gensky 6 21 12.5 -a 52.47 -o -15.4 -m -15 -r 35 -B 363 > sky001.rad

##out.rad

skyfunc glow sky_glow
0
0
4                0.9                0.9               1.15  0

sky_glow source sky
0
0
4                  0                  0                  1 180

#a green ground
skyfunc glow ground_glow
0
0
4                0.2                        0.2               0.2  0

ground_glow source ground
0
0
4                  0                  0                 -1 180

##rtrace rcalc run

oconv sky001.rad out.rad material.rad geometry.rad > 001.oct
rtrace -w -h -I+ @options.opt 001.oct < sensors.inp | rcalc -e
'$1=($1*0.265+$2*0.670+$3*0.065)*179' > 001.ill

-Nicolas