[Radiance-general] irradiance vs. radiance / luminance vs. illuminance

Marija Velickovic maricanis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 01:42:45 PDT 2008

Hi Greg,

 Greg Ward wrote:

> The complete list of materials that are completelly ignored when -i is set:
>
> trans
> trans2
> dielectric
> interface
> mist
> glass
>
> Surfaces made of these materials pass as if they aren't there.

What does this exactly mean when values on the image are traced in ximage?
For example if I have a window made of some glass material or some curtain
on it made of trans material. On irradiance image when I try to trace value
of some pixel on the window surface, what do I get? Is it irradiance of the
objects behind the window (outside ground, buildings etc)? Does
window/curtain transmittance has an influence on reported value?

What happens for surfaces made of transparent BRTfunc materials (like double
glazing)? Are they ignored too, or their irradiance value is reported?

Thanks again,
Marija