[Radiance-general] applied material to all faces of a genbox

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Mon May 26 02:49:56 PDT 2008

On 26 May 2008, at 02:43, steve michel wrote:

> I was thinking of horizon views instead of variable skies.

[...]

> sky dist--->windowmap filter (near field obstructions)---
> >windowglass--->room
>
> Maybe Im re-inventing the wheel- So my question: what function
> could i use to do what I described (and is my reasoning sensible?)

As long as you are inside of a building the 'illum' material should
do what you want:

1) Use 'mkillum' to create the 'illum' distribution for the window.
2) Create an image texture material for the window.
3) Change the 'illum' material created by 'mkillum' to use the texture
    as alternate material.
4) Render picture

If you have a photo of the outside scene that matches your viewpoint
you might eventually get convincing results. You will still have a
problem with adjusting the exposure or brightness of the outside view
to the appropriate exposure for the inside. In reality you wouldn't
be able to see outside and inside at the same time.

You could also use a post process to blend the image of the interior
with a view of the skydome/panoramic sky. Use the brightness of the
windows or a specially created mask to switch between foreground and
background image.

And then there's always Photoshop ...

Regards,
Thomas