[Radiance-general] Luminance predictions in a plane

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon May 19 08:22:17 PDT 2008

This seems to be a repeat posting of something sent out on Saturday.
There is no need to post things twice -- we did get it the first
time.  If you are unsure if a posting has made it to the list, you
can always go online to check:

	http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/

I did not reply to this right away, since it is really a basic
question, and I figured any number of people could handle it.  In any
case, a careful reading of the rtrace man page should give the
answer.  Quoting from the first paragraph of:

	http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/man_html/rtrace.1.html

"Input for each ray is:

             xorg yorg zorg xdir ydir zdir
"

You simply start the ray an arbitrary distance from your surface and
give it a vector corresponding to the desired luminance measurement.
The returned values (when you run rtrace without the -I+ option) will
be in SI radiance units (watts/sr/meter^2),which may be converted to
luminance (in candelas/meter^2) using the formula specified under the
"Examples" section:

	rtrace  -h  scene.oct  <lum_meas.pts |  rcalc  -e '$1=47.4*$1+120*$2
+11.6*$3'

I hope this helps.
-Greg