SV: Re: [Radiance-general] Lux-values for points in a plane

Per Haugaard perhaugaard at yahoo.dk
Wed May 14 00:54:37 PDT 2008

     Normal   0         21         false   false   false      DA   X-NONE   X-NONE                                                     MicrosoftInternetExplorer4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        /* Style Definitions */  table.MsoNormalTable  {mso-style-name:"Tabel - Normal";  mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;  mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;  mso-style-noshow:yes;  mso-style-priority:99;  mso-style-qformat:yes;  mso-style-parent:"";  mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;  mso-para-margin-top:0cm;  mso-para-margin-right:0cm;  mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
 mso-para-margin-left:0cm;  line-height:115%;  mso-pagination:widow-orphan;  font-size:11.0pt;  font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";  mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;  mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";  mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}    Dear Thomas and user group,

 Thank you very much for your reply: I really appreciate your help. But it still troubles me why I cannot get the correct ratio between the output and the entered LT-value for the window. Please refer to the below.

  > 6.216 0.00 1.8 0 -1 0 (window)
  > 6.216 0.05 1.8 0 -1 0 (black wall located 0.05 m behind the window
  > - in fact all walls are black)
  >
  > The Window (LT=0.72):
  > void glass window_glass
  > 0
  > 0
  > 3 .78 .78 .78
  >
  > cat IllumKoordinater.pts | rtrace -I -ab 4 -h -w -oov kontor.oct |
  > rcalc -e '$1=$2;$2=179*(.265*$4+.670*$5+.065*$6)' > lux.dat
  >
  > Output
  > -1       4883.69
  > -0.95  3049.70

  > If I understand the above correctly you are calculating two points:
 > one in front of the window, one behind it. The black walls are used
 > to swallow all light reflections on the inside so you will only have the
 > transmitted light left.

  Yes I only want to evaluate on the transmitted light through the window. I am interested in, later on, to calculate the transmitted light through the window with external shading based on a CIE-standard overcast sky.

 > Two improvements:

 > 1) Move the wall further back or place your second point at ie. 0.04. If
 > the calculation point coincides with the wall everything is possible.

  When I calculate the transmitted light at any other point in the room e.g. 0.04 (away from the black wall) the calculation coincides with the window (LT=1).

 > 2) Don't use a box at all. At the perimeter there is a dark horizon
 > (black walls) which is taken in into the calculation. You could
 > create a sphere of the material around your calculation point instead.

 I’m not sure what you mean here.

  > Two things worth noticing here. The output coordinates are not
  > listed correctly which gives me the suspicion that lux-values are
  > is not calculated for the correct coordinates. Furthermore the
  > ratio between the output are not according to the entered LT-value
  > for the window (0,62 vs. 0,72)

 > The first is the result of rtrace's interpretation of the '-I' switch
 > (uppercase 'I'!) rtrace creates a 'virtual surface' at the calculation
  > point and starts the calculation from the point of the view vector.
  > In your case these are (6.216+0, 0+-1, 1.8+0) and
  > (6.216+0, 0.05+-1, 1.8+0). Your rcalc command prints only the y-
 > coordinate.

  Okay, so the calculation is carried out for the correct input coordinates.

  > The second problem I can't explane but depending on the size of your
  > box the 'dark horizon' might have some influence here.

  My reference point in the room should coincide with the center of the window. I appreciate any help on solving why the ratio between the output and the entered LT-value for the window (0,62 vs. 0,72) differ.

Best regards

Per Haugaard

Per Haugaard,
Griffenfeldsgade 33, 2.tv