[Radiance-general] applied material to all faces of a genbox

Marija Velickovic maricanis at gmail.com
Wed May 7 03:32:56 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have related question.
If I define some complex material (with patterns, textures or even
material mixture), and I want to apply it on various surfaces, how can
I adjust material orientation to fit the final surface.

For example my complex material is defined in ZX plane, and my surface
is in some other plane.
I calculated needed rotation and translation parameters for the
material but how can I apply them to material and then to an object.

#simple plastic materials mat1, mat2 and mat3 are defined previously

#Vertical bands
#bands.cal is my functional file
#-s mat1 + mat2 in meters
# A1 = mat1/(mat1+mat2)
#30cm mat1|60cm mat2
void mixfunc vert_bands
6   mat1 mat2 band_x ./bands.cal -s 0.9
0
1      0.33

#one additional mat3 band each 3 mat1 and mat2 bands
#300cm vert_bands|60cm mat3
void mixfunc bands3
6   vert_bands mat3  band_x ./bands.cal -s 3.6
0
1      0.8333

Now I want to apply bands3 material to some surface like this:
mat1 polygon cloisons_4D1C.0.1
0
0
18	4445.9871	2212.8005	1035
	4421.9526	2166.5971	1035
	4434.1345	2160.294	1035
	4431.804	2155.7899	1035
	4415.0455	2164.5516	1035
	4441.6689	2215.0555	1035

I calculated rotation and translation parameters:
 -rx 0.000000 -ry -0.000000 -rz -117.482955 -t 4421.952600 2166.597100
1035.000000

So I need to use this transformation values on material to adjust
material orientation to the created surface.
*I can use transformations both on vert_band and bands3 material, but
then I would change my basic material and for all other surfaces I
have to redefine the material completely with new transformation
parameters.

*If I add transformations only to bands3 material, then bands made of
mat3 are rotated, but bands made of mat1 and mat2 stay in the same
orientation as before.

*My idea is to define complete complex material in ZX plane, and then
just adjust final material as needed for each surface.
I tried something like this:
void mixfunc mat1
14 bands3 void 1 .   -rx 0.000000 -ry -0.000000 -rz -117.482955 -t
4421.952600 2166.597100 1035.000000
0
0
but it didn't work. Final material look the same as original bands3 material.

I'm not sure if I was clear enough, but if someone understands my
question and have an answer that would be great.

Marija