[Radiance-general] non-technical

Tom Young thdyoung at mac.com
Thu May 1 01:33:18 PDT 2008

hi

I have enjoyed fiddling w Radiance, playing w models successfully
exported from SketchUp.

I will go on doing this because it's enjoyable. It is time consuming
but I recognise, from past experience, that sometimes you have to
accept that time properly spent on work, should, in fact, be spent
playing.

 From this, good things will come.

I am completely non-technical. I approach Radiance in the hope of
making images that tell me something useful about the fall of light
in rooms.

To tell whether or not an image does that is both technical and non-
technical. Certainly, one can tell from experience if an image has
any plausibility.

Plus, changing settings such as the gensky settings informs one about
difference, even if inexactly.

Exactitude may be a red-herring. Difference is what matters in the
rough and ready world of a practising small-scale architect.

One possibility is setting up a model of light and ground source
settings, with a basic materials file, to review light in spaces one
is working on.

Let's see: materials aren't that variable in the ordinary world of
the domestic architect. Glass - yes. Decorated plaster - yes. Gloss
painted timber trim and structural elements - yes. Marble, various
stones primarily Yorkstone, Limestone - yes. Concrete - yes. A range
of timbers - larch, walnut, oak, western red cedar. Brick of course -
new and old, red thru yellow to blue.

The impression is that Radiance is used by consultants who have the
skill to create the palettes of material which they need from scratch
based on a technical grasp of reflectance, specularity, perturbation
etc. A practising architect is unlikely to share this facility.

So a materials file such as the one alluded to would be very helpful.

I am aware that I am bleating somewhat, and pleading for something
that takes years of skill to produce, but the lighting and rendering
consultants out there are never going experience competition from the
likes of me. So why not release a set of sky files for London and a
materials file which are credible.

I have scoured the Net for Radiance materials and I haven't found
anything which deals with the world that I inhabit. The stuff out
there is useful for basic self-tutoring only.

None of the Radiance generated imagery wh I have seen relates to the
kind of projects which I am talking about as the meat-n-drink of the
ordinary London architect.

tom