[Radiance-general] soft edged shadows

Kai Babetzki babetzki at transsolar.com
Tue Mar 11 08:31:30 PDT 2008

Dear Radiance Community,
I'm more a faithful reader (than writer) of this newsgroup due to more
common problems I had to deal with in the past.
But in my current project the architect wants a horizontally fully
glazed roof for his atria. The roof height
is 35m and due to sun protection reasons the roof should be fritted.

The main design criteria is, that the fritting should be realized in a
way, that you can distinguish between shaded
and alight areas on the floor.

We did some very rough experiments and saw very weak edges between
shaded
and alight areas. For the distance of 35 meters a shading element has be
at least 40cm wide to produce a distinguishable
shadow on the floor.

If I model this with Radiance the results show always very strong
shadows with very sharp edges and I can't see any expected diffraction
effects.

Sorry for the long introduction but my question is very short: Is it
possible to model this effect with Radiance?

Best regards,
Kai