[Radiance-general] Radiance value of uniform sky

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 02:16:19 PDT 2008

Hi Kam,

> I produced a uniform sky using the –u option under the gensky
> function. As measured from the fisheye view of the sky (both angular
> and hemispheric), however, the radiance of the sky slightly
> decreases towards the edge of the “circle”. Is there a way to
> improve this situation?

What I believe you are seeing is the gradual transition at the horizon
between the sky and ground radiance produced by a (steep) power-law
blending function in skybright.cal.  This introduces a slight
deviation from the mathematically 'perfect' distribution which might
be noticed in certain situations.  You can prevent this happening by
using a slightly modified version of cal file available here:

http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm/pickup/skybright_nomix.cal

Simply place where it will be found by RAYPATH and rename
'skybright.cal' in the gensky output to 'skybright_nomix.cal'.  This
will work for all sky luminance distributions.  If uniform is the only
'perfect' sky that you need, then the easiest way is create it manually:

# uniform brightness sky (B=1)
void glow sky_glow
0
0
4 1 1 1 0

sky_glow source sky
0
0
4 0 0 1 180

Re: Q2 - Have a look at the "ambient accuracy parameter" thread in
December 2006 (especially Greg's comment).

Regards,

-John

PS. The current skybright.cal (2.7) is a later version than the one I
modified (2.6), but I didn't note any difference in the code other
than the RCS header.

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Senior Research Fellow
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK