[Radiance-general] Re: Cumulative calculations of irradiance

Iván Pajares Sánchez defunkt at pobox.com
Mon Jun 9 00:57:22 PDT 2008

> One approach we have taken for cumulative irradiance studies is to add
> up the sky sources first and then do a single simulation with multiple
> skies.  There is a script that Francesco Anselmo developed (I can't
> recall the name or where it might be at the moment) that creates an
> annual sky based on a tmy2 weather file.  Not sure of your exact needs,
> but this might be an easier way to go about it.
>
> Regards,
> Zack

Hi Zack,

I have tried creating a let's call it 'accumulated' sky (rendering
multiple skies as a big cube, adding them with pcomb and then
re-rendering with them as a light probe). However as I'm trying to
include the direct component I generate the skies seperately without sun
and the the suns on another file to render. This is leading to
extraordinarily big numbers so I guess I have to, and please correct my
mathematical language if wrong, normalize the numbers to get a
manageable figure to work with, is this right?

I know I might be repeating what F. Anselmo and R. Compagnon have done
with radmap and other scripts but I confess I enjoy learning this things
'the hard way'...

So, to sum up:

Is it better to render the direct sun component on separate file to get
all the sun's dayli/montly or yearly positions and render with all those
direct sources plus the accumulated skies or to accumulate the skies
with the sun and render?

Thanks to everybody for the feedback, it is outstanding the knowledge
that flows through these emails...