[Radiance-general] Cumulative calculations of irradiance

Zack Rogers ZRogers at archenergy.com
Thu Jun 5 13:16:29 PDT 2008

Hi Ivan,

One approach we have taken for cumulative irradiance studies is to add
up the sky sources first and then do a single simulation with multiple
skies.  There is a script that Francesco Anselmo developed (I can't
recall the name or where it might be at the moment) that creates an
annual sky based on a tmy2 weather file.  Not sure of your exact needs,
but this might be an easier way to go about it.

Regards,
Zack

Zack Rogers, P.E., IESNA, LEED AP
Daylighting Analysis Group Leader
Architectural Energy Corporation
2540 Frontier Avenue, Suite 201
Boulder, CO 80301 USA

tel (303)444-4149 ext. 435
fax (303)444-4304
http://www.archenergy.com

>>> Iván Pajares Sánchez <defunkt at pobox.com> 6/5/2008 3:35 AM >>>
Hello group,

I am working out some simulations to get some figures that help me
estimate irradiance on a building for thermal load comparison. What I
am
trying to do is to gauge the range of numbers one can get and the
differences in different part of the building so I have a basis to
speak
to the engineer.

To do this I generate my Radiance model with only one material to start

with with 50% reflectance. I generate a 1/2 hour series of renderings
(with -i switch on).
Afterwards I add up the irradiances with pcomb to get one picture from

which to get the falsecolor scale in kWh / m2.

I'm using falsecolor with -m = 0.001 to get the output in kWh / m2 to
get daily cumulative irradiances. Is this approach correct?

I'm doing this because RADMAP for windows fails to work (even the
example files that come with it) so I wanted to play around with
radiance and learn something on the way.

I guess my next step is to feed real irradiance data into radiance and

foloow the procedure outlined before, Am I in the proper direction?

Thanks for any feedback!

Iván Pajares