[Radiance-general] lighting simulation of blinds in Energy Plus vs. Radiance

Svetlana Olbina svetlanaolbina at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 11:59:36 PDT 2008

Hello Greg and Rob,

Thank you both for a quick response.

Rob Hitchcock's claims 10% error in his paper about DELight2 (DELIGHT2 DAYLIGHTING ANALYSIS IN ENERGY PLUS: INTEGRATION AND PRELIMINARY USER RESULTS).

Hitchcock stated that:
"Delight participated in validation exercise specifically focused on the ability to simulate
CFS performance, as characterized by measured BTDFs (Maamari, et al., 2005). The comparisons were based on measurements and corresponding simulations in a simple-geometry test box for combinations of CFS BTDFs and measured skies. The DElight2 results for a particular combination of a CIE overcast sky and a measured BTDF representing Serraglaze were shown."

This is all they mentioned about a sky model and the error. We used TMY 3 weather file downloaded from the Energy Plus website and did not add anything specifically related to the sky model in our input.

I wonder if this information from Hitchcock's paper warranties accuracy of the results.

We have not done experimental testing of our system and can rely only on the computer simulations at this moment....so we want to make sure we are on the right track when selecting a software for lighting simulations.

Thank you very much.

Svetlana