[Radiance-general] Spectrophotometer use and material reflectance

iebele info at iebele.nl
Thu Jul 24 02:54:36 PDT 2008

Hi John,

It is a long time ago that I experimented using a Minolta spectrometer, I
think is was in 2000.
At that time I wrote and bundled some scripts and documents, I just put
these on the server for you:
http://www.iebele.nl/radiance/callibrate/

Look in this document for "Minolta's spectro-photometer"
You will need these scipts/programs:

http://www.iebele.nl/radiance/callibrate/minolta.c ( just one of my own
progs, ...)
http://www.iebele.nl/radiance/callibrate/spct2xyz
http://www.iebele.nl/radiance/callibrate/xyz2rgb

Because most of the page is written in Dutch, here a short help:
( spectraal-q14.txt  is a just a file from your spectrometer )

$ ./minolta < spectraal-q14.txt
 Convert Minolta photospectrometer spectral data list
 Ranging from 400 to 700 nm
 This data can be read by spct2xyz
 Number of steps in spetcrum  : 31
 Number of measured items     : 20
 Writing file Q14-0.spc 1
 Writing file Q14-1.spc 2
 Writing file Q14-19.spc 20

Now check the result:

$ more  Q14-0.spc
#nm      reflectance
400     0.728000
410     0.799700
700     0.933800

Now translate  *.spc files to .xyz and  .rgb line this:

$ ./spct2xyzQ14-0.spc >  Q14-0.xyz
$ ./xyz2rgb  < Q14-0.xyz >  Q14-0.rgb

I don't know if these scripts still work, or if they are accurate,
hope it helps you a little,

Iebele