[Radiance-general] Installing Radiance in Ubuntu

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Mon Jul 7 15:51:30 PDT 2008

Nick Calcagni wrote:
> Basically, after typing in "sudo apt-get install radiance" what do I
> type next in order to open Radiance? (so I can start inputting the
> scenes from the "Rendering With Radiance"
>  tutorial).

Hi Nick,

Oh, you just double-click the Radiance icon.  Not really.  =8-)

You will find that Radiance is actually a large collection of command
line tools that you interact with more in a terminal window rather than
a more traditional GUI/window/menu interface.  Actually, if you have the
Rendering with Radiance book and tutorials, you can simply follow those
and you will see how it all comes together.  Once you get used to the
lack of menus, you will actually find it quite liberating, since you
will discover that Radiance is a box of tools waiting to be told what to
do for you.  You can use scripts to create various rendering and
calculation engines that can produce a lot of useful data.

Good luck, and be sure and use this list (and the archives) as a
resource for your explorations with Radiance.  I've been using the
software regularly for seven years now and still haven't scratched the
surface.  Have fun!

- Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org