[Radiance-general] Radiance, analysis

steve michel smichel_designer at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 20:14:23 PST 2008

Thanks Jack, Rob

That cleared that up for me. I understood xform array from Axel Jacobs tutorial and Thomas' example. Replmarks and ltview will prove invaluable in 'trying' out different lighting scenarios. So far I succeed I getting rvu to render and show my fixtures in sufficiently correct form, scale and presentable. Now the fun part: analysis

I used the same oct file from rvu to generate illuminance and luminance pic files. Now with ximage, the -illuminance pic I see the fixtures in black (which perhaps males sense since no light arrives at the lens right?) I did test for a room with window openings in daytime and night time:

The night illuminance pic shows the fixture lens lit and gives what seems the correct fc reading (which I must validate)
The day time illuminance pic shows the lens in black in the obviously much brighter pic (I adjusted exposure) but the ximage 'l' readings are too high for fc units but seem correct if they are lux. The key word is 'seem'.

My variables are too numerous to list here( rpict options, ximage etc.) I need to know if an irradiance pic rendered with thr -i option in rpict can be analyzed ximage so has to give lux or footcandle readings. There is sun patch in the daytime rendered scene. would that serverly impair the accuracy of pixel readings???

regards
Steve