[Radiance-general] Re: falsecolor's isolux on observer's luminance.

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Mon Feb 4 09:55:57 PST 2008

Hi Lucio,

Yes, it is true that pinterp needs to fill in missing pixel values,
which is why you need a very high resolution image.  (In fact, it
would make sense to set the vertical resolution higher than the
horizontal resolution, with the -pa 0 option to allow non-square
pixels.)  However, the results should still be valid.

If you are concerned about calculation efficiency, then you could
write a script as you suggest.  First, you would use vwrays to feed
rtrace and get it to generate intersection points for all the
positions on the orthogonal view.  Second, you would apply a script
to convert these positions to directions from the observer for a
second rtrace run that would compute your radiance values.  This
would be output to an image.  I guess it would go something like:

% vwrays -ff -vf ortho.vf -x XRES -y YRES -pa 0 \
	| rtrace -h -ff -op roadway.oct \
	| rcalc -if3 -of -e '$1=OX;$2=OY;$3=OZ;$4=$1-OX;$5=$2-OY;$6=$3-OZ' \
	| rtrace -ffc -x XRES -y YRES roadway.oct \
	| falsecolor -cl -s auto \
	| ra_tiff - roadway_lum.tif

where XRES and YRES are the desired map resolution and OX, OY, and OZ
are the observer coordinates.  (E.g., add -e 'OX:10.5;OY:-3.9;OZ=2'
to the rcalc line.)

I hope this makes sense.  It may require some adjustments -- I didn't
test it out!

-Greg