[Radiance-general] About Radinace - Lens material

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 08:35:03 PST 2008

Dear Neha,

Radiance uses ray-tracing to perform lighting calculations in
buildings.  It is not configured for optical ray-tracing.  For such a
purpose, you are better off with any of the number of commercial
packages available (TracePro, Optics Lab, ORA LightTools, etc.)
While it is *possible* to use Radiance for optical design, it is not
geared for it, and you won't find many people who have applied it to
this task.  I am just starting to work with it myself, but even the
accurate definition of a lens given the lack of bicubic patches is
problematic.

Best,
-Greg