[Radiance-general] rtrace parallelization

Marija Velickovic maricanis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 04:56:42 PST 2008

Hi,

I need to perform some rtrace calculations for big number of points and
rather high calculation parameters, so I'm trying to use the full potential
of dual core machines.
I saw that for example rvu or rad programs have option -n or -N to define
number of parallel processes to be started. Is similar parallelization
possible in rtrace program?
I've found "-PP pfile" option but I'm not sure how to use it. I supposed
that "pfile" should be empty so program can write into it some control
variables. When I started rtrace with -PP option 2 processes are created:
one for my  rtrace and one child rtrace process with the same parameters.
When I tried to explore running processes it seems that only the first one
is really running, while the second one is sleeping - so I don't have real
paralellization here.

I suppose I haven't understood something well, so if someone has the
experience with rtace running on multiprocessor machines, please send me
some ideas/hints.

Happy holidays to all list members and their families,
Marija