[Radiance-general] Installing Radiance in Ubuntu 7.10 - Step-by-Step guide

EncaseIndia encase at encaseindia.com
Mon Dec 15 02:38:43 PST 2008

Dear All,

I have spent a lot of time and was finally able to install a working copy of Radiance. Below is a small guide to compile and install Radiance in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I hope that someone finds it useful.

Regards,
JP

Install Radiance R3.9 in Ubuntu (7.10) Gutsy Gibbon

A step-by-step guide (1st Draft)
--------------------------------

Dec 15, 2008

First, I am a relatively new user of Radiance and Ubuntu. I would like to help newbies like me to get Radiance working on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon with as little
pain as possible.

Why?
a) For using Radiance on older machines.
b) I find Ubuntu 7.10 perfect for my needs and am reluctant to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10.

There may be others like me, so this small guide is intended for them.

We will install Radiance from source, but there are alternatives though like:

1) change your distro or upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10
2) try intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10) packages by using backports

 Binary files for Ubuntu 8.10 are available for download
        at the following site:

 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/radiance/3R9+20080530-4

3) get live CD, learnix-2008-1_beta.iso (which uses Ubuntu 8.10) from:

       ftp://luminance.londonmet.ac.uk/pub/learnix/learnix-2008-1_beta.iso

OK, let's start the process to compile radiance from source package:

First Step:
-----------

We need to download the required packages and their dependencies to compile using synaptic package manager:

 -   tcsh
 -   libtiff
 -   g++
 -   g++4.1
 -   tcl8.5
 -   tk8.4
 -   libc6-dev
 -   libx11-dev

or type following in terminal:
# sudo apt-get install tcsh libtiff g++ g++4.1 tcl8.5 tk8.4 libc6-dev libx11-dev

Depending on your internet connection and your machine this may take some time.

Second Step:
------------

Prepare the Radiance for compiling
Create a directory in your HOME directory:
# mkdir build

Change the working directory to it:
# cd build

Download Radiance sources:
# wget http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/download/rad3R9all.tar.gz

Unpack it:
# tar -xvf rad3R9all.tar.gz

Change the working directory to the source directory:
# cd ray

Third Step:
-----------
Compiling it:
This generates the necessary files and checks your system:

#sudo tcsh makeall install

Give following answers to the queries generated by the install script:
Q1. Default editor [vi]?
Ans: y

Q2. Install to location usr/local/bin:
Ans. y

Q3. Read the license agreement ...
Ans. Scroll down using space bar. At the end it will ask:
   q. Do you agree [n]:
   ans. y

Q4. Type of install? Choose from Sun, Sparc, Linux, etc.
    Linux is listed at number 6
Ans. 6

Q5. Copy library files to 'usr/local/lib/ray'?
Ans. y

Q6. Install library files now?
Ans. y

Q7. Current rmake command is
    #!bin/sh
    Do you want to change it?
Ans. n

The programs and libraries are copied to usr/local/bin and
usr/local/lib/ray respectively.

The environment variable Raypath is automatically set.

If all goes well you will have a working installation of Radiance.

Note
----
1) In my case, the installation ended with the message
   "there were some errors"
   As far as I was able to make out, this was because:

   - libtiff was not compiled due to some compiler sanity check

   - However, since latest libtiff was already downloaded and installed in
     first Step in Ubuntu, this did not cause a problem.

2) Some binary files from installation directory:

     i.e. /build/ray/src/px

     like macbethcal, pcomb, pfilt, ra-bmp, ... ttyimage, etc.
     were not automatically copied to the /usr/local/bin directory.

     - So I manually copied the files using the nautilus file manager
       as root by using the following command:

       sudo nautilus

    Note: copy the files whose icons are a rotated square with gears
          to the /usr/local/bin directory

3)  For more details about the errors please refer to a file
    named as config.log. You can search for this file from the desktop
    menu:
        Places--->
                Search for files (with magnifying glass icon)

    The config.log file in my case was located at:
        ubuntu/build/ray/src/px/tiff/config.log

Conclusion:

I hope that this guide is helpful. It has been written with the best of intentions. There may be errors, so I request advanced users to kindly review it and update the same.

Wishing you all the best.
Jiten