[Radiance-general] Reference reflectances for office space surfaces?

Casper Esmeijer C.Esmeijer at mook.peutz.nl
Wed Dec 10 04:41:25 PST 2008

Lars,

It won't be of much help to you probably, but EN 12464-1:2002 (paragraph
4.2) gives you a range of reflectances for interior surfaces:
— ceiling: 0,6 to 0,9
— walls: 0,3 to 0,8
— working planes: 0,2 to 0,6
— floor: 0,1 to 0,5

For similar lighting evaluations we normally use: ceiling 70%, walls 50% and
floor 10% or 20%.

Casper Esmeijer

I have seen the assumption of 80%, 50%, 20% neutral grey levels for
office spaces quite a lot, but I wonder if there is anything like a
standard for a "generic" office environment anywhere. Does anyone have a
link to a recommendation what to use when doing studies on an office
space whose surface properties are not known yet?

Thank you, Lars.