[Radiance-general] Setting ambient accuracy (-aa) to 0

Kam Shing Leung citykam at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 02:38:34 PST 2008

Dear all,

I intend to model the amount of solar radiation falling onto different parts of a building facade.  To do this, RTRACE is used.  An array of measurement points at 1-unit interval is assigned on the facade.

To model it properly, I am currently deciding on the ambient settings.  My understanding is that, by setting -aa to 0, there will be no interpolation of irradiance values, and so all the backward ray-tracing will be conducted exactly at the measurement points.  But I also read an advice aganist turning -aa to 0 for the purpose of evaluating irradiance value in a space (see the thread below).

Could anyone advise whether it is appropriate to set -aa to 0 in this situation?  Corrections on any misconception of mine are also appreciated.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Kam

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 22:04:38 CET 2006