[Radiance-general] !genprism and !genbox errors

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Sun Aug 17 06:16:23 PDT 2008

On 16 Aug 2008, at 23:42, Nick Calcagni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It turns out !genprism does work, it was just another input error
> on my part.
> !genbox however doesn't, and !rgenbox too.

Because it's genrbox ...

Learn how to use system tools to find out which files have been
installed
by a package. The program dpkg might be your friend here (I haven't used
Debian/Ubuntu/Linux in a while). The official Debian packages differ
from
the standard distribution in some minor ways. Plus the tutorials you are
following are outdated in respect to the current version. If you are
not familiar
with your operating system you will have a hard time understanding
what's
going on.

As a kick-start help here is the list of files installed by the package:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i386/radiance/filelist

> The directory you posted isn't on my computer. In fact I can't find
> any files called "readme" at all.

 From the above list it's these files you should read:

/usr/share/doc/radiance/NEWS.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/radiance/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/radiance/README.gz
/usr/share/doc/radiance/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/radiance/copyright

> I get many many lines of this with rgenbox:
>
> xform: (standard input): warning - empty file
> xform: (!rgenbox   red_tile       tile_a   1 1 .1 -b .025  | xform -
> t 1 1 -.1): warning - empty file
> sh: rgenbox: not found
> xform: (standard input): warning - empty file
> xform: (!rgenbox   white_tile     tile_a   1 1 .1 -b .025  | xform -
> t 0 1 -.1): warning - empty file
> sh: rgenbox: not found

The last line is telling: the shell can't find the command called
'rgenbox' - in this case
because it doesn't exist.

If you have the 'locate' command installed you can search for the
file on your system
(using a database) or use

find / -name rgenbox

to search the whole system for it (might take a while).

> ...or this with genbox:
>
>  :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:
>
>                   Green Red Orange Magenta Azure Cyan Skyblue
>
>                             :-)  VERSION 3.3.3  (-:
>

>       Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and
> others.
>        Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The
> Netherlands.
>              Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
>             check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.
>
>          This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>           modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>          as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> version 2
>              of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
>                                 :-)  genbox  (-:

This app has nothing to do with Radiance but it has the same name and
it was in Debian first. So the Radiance 'genbox' command had to be
renamed
which causes all your troubles right now.

Regards,
Thomas