[Radiance-general] Re: rpict, rtrace start up time and number of sources

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:58:29 PDT 2008

Hi Lars,

Looking at this problem some more, I tried my own scene with 1800
sources, and the start-up time with the default compile option for
SHADCACHE (20) took about 11 seconds additional time to get going on
a 1.5 GHz G4 processor (i.e., not that swift by today's standards).
If your start-up time is three hours, I would have to have close to 2
million sources to get into that kind of range, unless your scene is
somehow strangely different.  Is there anything else special about it?