[Radiance-general] rpict, rtrace start up time and number of sources

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Apr 16 14:04:51 PDT 2008

Hi Greg,

thank you for that whole bunch of information! ;-) I have no redirecting
surfaces, but I use (mk)illums to bundle groups of light sources for the
indirect calculation. I do not know if this causes additional start-up
processing.

The idea to deactivate the obstruction cache is quite promising for my
case. I have one illuminated room, so all those light sources are not
hidden by surfaces any way. That means that all that caching is for
nothing and just wastes the start-up time in this special scenario.

I will try this as soon as the next image is done (I guess tomorrow) and
report any success.

The idea to use -P is a good one - but I wonder how to do this when
using ranimate to control the rendering. Maybe you remember, I am that
crazy guy using ranimate to render stills - which is nice cause I can
use it to continue after broken processes, distribute processes both on
smp and on clusters, and all that... ;-) I will have a look at the
ranimate documentation once again.

CU and thanks, Lars.