[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance in Debian

Bernd Zeimetz bernd at bzed.de
Sat Oct 20 01:38:46 PDT 2007

Hi,

> Do these programs have to go in /usr/bin?  Could they go in, say,
> /usr/libexec/radiance instead?  The main time they're run, after all, is
> when oconv invokes them.  Would that work with Debian standards?

/usr/lib/radiance/bin would work fine, too.

Although I can't install the manpage to the proper place then.
Also I'm not sure if it makes sense to have some of the tools in
/usr/bin and others at some other place. Not having them in $PATH is
something I'd call annoying, too.

I'm more in favor of leaving all executable programs somewhere in $PATH,
as this is what a new user of radiance would expect - and I'm sure
radiance will attract more users when it is distributed with Debian,
which also means it'll be distributed with Ubuntu at some day. Working
around the renamed binary is not very hard, in the worst case it means
to create a symbolic link.

Best regards,

Bernd

--