[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance in Debian

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Fri Oct 19 08:25:26 PDT 2007

Hi Bernd,

I'm very grateful to the folks who are willing to rename rcalc, as
this would have been a lot of work to change in Radiance.  Even if
it's not one of the most common commands from a user's perspective,
it's applied in dozens of scripts, mine and others', which would have
been very tedious to track down and change.

However, as Randolph says, genbox is also widely used, mostly in
scene descriptions.  While we cannot easily change the existing docs,
this didn't stop us from renaming "rview" to "rvu" to avoid the clash
with one of vi's half-dozen monikers.  As you noticed, I added a
symbolic link in the executable directory from rview -> rvu as a stop-
gap until people picked up the new name.  Would it be possible to do
this with genbox -> genrbox?

Asking that packages not have any name collisions is a laudable but
not terribly realistic goal.  Surely, there are so many Debian
packages by now that name collisions must happen left and right.  No?

If we aren't even allowed a symbolic link, one dastardly work-around
is to add a check for the "genbox" command when parsing scene input,
substituting "genrbox" and printing a warning of its deprecation.
Ugly, but it might work.

-Greg