[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance in Debian!

Axel Jacobs jacobs.axel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 12:30:54 PDT 2007

f) If you compile with SPECIAL="ogl", you'll get OpenGL drivers for
the holodeck stuff. This makes it much faster and nicer. There will be
additional device files. Here are mine:

glx1.hdi   ogl.hdi   oglo.hdi   ogls.hdi   oglso.hdi   x11.hdi
glx1h.hdi  oglh.hdi  ogloh.hdi  oglsh.hdi  oglsoh.hdi  x11h.hdi

Downside would be the additional dependency on the Mesa libs.

b) (again). I did not mean to suggest that Radiance is not Free. What
I simply do not know is whether it's Free Enough to be included in
Debian proper. It certainly is free enough for me.

I already pointed out the potential click-wrap problem, which you
simply patched away.

If the click-wrap is there for no reason at all, then a better
solution would be to get it removed up-stream. Since I don't know what
Greg has to say about this, I shall make no further assumptions.
Generally speaking, however, you only need to agree if somebody takes
something away from you (e.g. your right to distribute the software,
like it was in those old days), not if somebody gives you something
for absolutely and unconditionally free.

Another interesting phrase is para 5 of the Radiance Software License:

"5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Radiance",
nor may "Radiance" appear in their name, without prior written
permission of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory."

No problem with me. However, what it would stop me from doing is to
create something like radiance-ng (as in next-generation), or
radiance-nt (as in new technology) or nu-radiance (as in new).

You will be aware that there is syslog and syslog-ng, both GPLd, I
believe, so this kind of naming is not unheard of.

The question is whether this teeny weeny restriction of my freedom to
name a derived package anything-radiance or radiance-anything is
enough for the very strict rules of the DSC to render it non-free.
Probably not, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 Escudos, anyhow.

I trust that you as a seasoned Debian developer with >30 packages
under your belt know all the ins and outs of all sorts licenses and
Social Contracts, so having your assurance that Radiance is
Free-as-in-Debian will make me sleep comfortably at night.

Thanks for your time

Axel