[Radiance-general] Radiance in Debian!

Bernd Zeimetz bernd at bzed.de
Sat Oct 6 15:47:46 PDT 2007

Hi list,

I'm happy to announce that Radiance was accepted in Debian's unstable on
Thursday, it'll be shipped with the next release which is called Lenny.

My thanks go to Gregory J. Ward for replying to all my emails and taking
care of all problems I run into.

At the moment Debian's version is '3R8+20070924.dfsg' - which mainly
means it is the CVS HEAD from 2007-09-24. Unfortunately I had to remove
some pdf files which are in the Radiance distribution without sources,
therefore the .dfsg was added to the version - but I'm sure Gregory and
me will find a way around that, too.

The following packages are shipped in Debian:

* radiance - containing the binaries and manpages
* radiance-doc - containing all other documentation and the examples
* radiance-materials - all material files
* radiance-sse3 - SSE3 optimized versions of the renderers, this package
is only available on i386, the amd64 binaries are automatically
optimized for SSE4 (if I remember right, man gcc tells more ;))

The overview in the package tracing system can be found at [1].

/usr/share/radiace/doc/README.Debian provides additional details, it can
 also be read online at [2]

If the pacakges are not available on your favourite platform yet,
they're probably just not built yet - some buildds seem to lag a bit
behind - [3]. Please try again later :)

I'd be happy about any kind of feedback, especially before Lenny will be
released - which will take some more months for sure, but as soon as it
is released, there's no way to fix minor bugs anymore.

Also - if there's any interest - I'll make sure there will be backports
for Etch available as soon as the package migrates from unstable to testing.

If there's any interest I can also build and provide a Debian live cd
with radiance pre-installed.

For developers are probably the build logs interesting - they're
provided at [4]. Patches I've added to build under Debian are listed at
[5]. Mainly they remove the shipped libtiff in favor for Debian's
libtiff and fix several implicit declarations, which are known to result
in problems on several of Debian's architectures.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the packages or Debian.

Best regards,

Bernd Zeimetz

[1]:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=radiance&searchon=names&suite=unstable&section=all