[Radiance-general] Radmap: to produce irradiation map

Prasanta Bhattarai bhattarai at simcenter.org
Thu Nov 29 14:33:37 PST 2007

Hi all,

Being a new user to Radiance, I have very limited knowledge about it. I
might be completely wrong on what I am saying. If so, please correct me and
give suggestions.

My aim here is to render some before and after images for analysis of
daylight. I want to show existing and proposed conditions (annual)
irradiation maps using "radmap" tool.

The weather file that I am using is TMY2 .epw I used following to render
existing and proposed irradiation maps with "radmap" command:
radmap -s 8 -a 40.8 -o 73.9 -m 57  -n 1 -w WeatherTMT2.epw --no-albedo
--viewfile viewfile --radfile test.rad  -x 2048 -y 2048
--keep-temporary-maps --sky-resolution 1024 --max-kWh 500 --max-MJ 150

As a result, I get irradiation maps in which the orientation of the shading
looks out by about 90deg (area on north/northwest looks brighter than
east/southeast).

-          Am I using the correct weather data or parameters?

-          I would also like to use the rpict options to get better
rendering, but whenever I specify the --optionfile   it says,

o        View file to be used: viewfile

o        Option file to be used: viewfile

o        Do I have to specify the rpict options on the viewfile?

-          Anyone using Radmap for Daylight simulation who could further
help me?

Thanks in advance,

Prasanta