[Radiance-general] Sketchup exporter script

steve michel smichel_designer at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 11:18:18 PST 2007

Thanks! of course it should have occured to me to use the sketchup 'place-holder' as the lamp geometry -'two birds with one stone'> From: tbleicher at arcor.de> Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] Sketchup exporter script> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:41:50 +0000> To: radiance-general at radiance-online.org> > > On 26 Nov 2007, at 20:20, steve michel wrote:> > > Thanks again for the export script. The following was in > > Fransceco's wiki as a> > future feature (no pun intended)> > <<replacement of component instances with pre-canned Radiance files>>> >> > I hope this will enable the script's ability to handle artificial > > lighting.> > Yes. That's my lazy take on IES file support.> > > I have some ies fixtures i've used in some radiance renders I want> > to use in the Sketchup to radiance generated files.> > So far I've only the following method:> > 1 step converted ies to rad files> > 2 Use mkillum for a wrapper for fixture geometry> > 3 'update' the script generated files to search/replace a> > named scene 'place holder' with items 1 and 2.> >> > Does this approach make sense? If there is a more straight forward> > way, please let me know.> > Search and replace could be done with replmarks. Use triangles> where you want your fittings, find the corresponding "!xform ..."> line for the triangles file and replace it with the correct> "!replmarks ..." line (I assume you have already prepared the> Radiance description of the fitting, ies2rad and all that).> > Alternative (more along the lines of how I think about Radiance> and the Sketchup scenes):> > 1) create a "component instance" for the light fitting (shaped as> the fitting for better placement)> 2) place instance in scene> 3) export> 4) replace the file that represents the instance in the "objects/"> directory with a file that's created by ies2rad (and spiced up> with a bit of geometry if you like)> > The idea behind the "pre-canned" files is that every component instance> _loaded_ into Sketchup has an associated file path. The script could > just> check if next to the component's ".skp" file another file with ".rad"> and ".dat" extension exists and copy these files instead of exporting> the actual component geometry.> > IES support then would require you to create a Radiance file for the> fitting (with geometry and correct ".dat" file path), the ".dat" file> and a Sketchup component to represent the fitting in the scene. When> you load and use the component it gets replaced with the Radiance files> on the fly. Other options like dimming could be shoehorned into this> process as well.> > > Is there a straight forward way of handling instances> > Is there more than one way of handling an instance in Sketchup?> > > Update for those who've faithfully read this far:> > I have created a google code project for this script:> > http://code.google.com/p/su2rad/> > The download package is still at the last 'release' stage> but the SVN repository has the hot new features> * export by layer> * export by colour and> * import with contour lines> > As usual it hasn't seen a lot of testing yet.> > > Cheers,> Thomas> > > > _______________________________________________> Radiance-general mailing list> Radiance-general at radiance-online.org> http://www.radiance-online.org/mailman/listinfo/radiance-general