[Radiance-general] Noise free rendering of simple sun/sky scene

Claus B. Madsen cbm at cvmt.aau.dk
Thu Nov 8 07:07:22 PST 2007

Dear all,

I am new to this list .. and not all that experienced in using Radiance.

I have problems determining render parameter settings that will produce
an (almost) noise free rendering of simple scenes illuminated by a sky
dome and a sun disk. I want to have soft shadows from both the sky dome
(180 degree source) and the Sun (0.53 degree source). My .rad file is
listed below. I realize that both sources (sky and sun) are "white" ...
thats not the issue ... I am just sending the simplest form of the types
of scenes I wish to render.

I am rendering with these parameters, but the results are horrobly
noisy, and I do not get soft shadows from the Sun:
rpict -x 640 -y 480 -ab 2 -aw 0 -dr 3 -dp 4096 -ds 0.01 -dj 0.6

I have the Rendering with Radiance book, but cannot really find a clear
"how to" in terms of setting the parameters so that my picture comes out
right.

Hope I am not offending anybody by posting such a simple problem.

Sincerely,
Claus

P.S. I am performing research in Augmented Reality and will be using my
renderings in conjunction with techniques I have developed for
estimating the Sun and the Sky radiances from images of real scenes. I
will the render some simple geometry using Radiance and compose into the
image with correct shading and shadows

# Materials

void plastic white_matte
0
0
5 1.0 1.0 1.0 0 0

# Objects

white_matte sphere ball4
0
0
4 0.0 0.0 2.0 2.0

!genbox white_matte groundplane \
20 20 0.5 -r 0.08 | xform -t -10 -10 -0.25

# Illumination environment: a 0.53 degree diameter disk and a
# 180 degree skydome

# The Sun ... radiance set to provide unity irradiance for
# normal pointing right into the sun
void light sunradiance
0
0
3 14880 14880 14880

sunradiance source TheSun
0
0
4 -1 -1 1 0.53

# The Sky ... radiance set to provide unity irradiance for
# normal pointing right into the sky
void light skyradiance
0
0