[Radiance-general] Specular convex reflector and surface normals?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue May 15 09:28:11 CEST 2007

> If you use the "mirror" material type for the ceiling, it will cast
> appropriate source reflections, but without the surface normal
> interpolation.  Also, it will incur a lot of calculation overhead,
> proportional to the number of triangles in your ceiling.  I don't think
> I'd recommend it for that reason.

No, the geometry is awfully complex, consisting of a number of domes and
semidomes which are connected by rounded edges (rounded in geometry).
With todays computers (and my budget) that will not complete in the next
years ;-)

> This is no doubt the source of your splotches, and the photon map
> addition may well take care of the problem.  You could try it with the
> "mirror" type first, just to see how long it takes and what it looks like.

Sounds like a field of a small application study of radiance and exotic
model setup ;-) I have really little knowledge about the radiance pmap
stuff, so it sound even more exciting. I was already thinking about
putting an illum under the dome to achieve some smoothing, which would
be more or less faked of course.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep you informed of any results...

CU Lars.