[Radiance-general] Specular convex reflector and surface normals?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon May 14 10:10:30 CEST 2007

Hi,

one question regarding "rounded" surface normals on specular surfaces. I
have a dome with a highly specular (consider 99% specular) surface. The
dome is an obj-mesh, with interpolated vertex normals ("smooth") and
imported using obj2mesh.

The rounded vertexes render a smooth dome when viewed from below, as
expected. But as this dome reflects light onto the floor, it is some
kind of a big convex reflector. I wonder if for light reflected from
this reflector to the ground, the normal interpolation is applied, too.
The background for my question are big bright splotches on the floor. I
also wonder if this geometry is something not really to be modeled in
classic radiance, as the old questions of convex reflectors and backward
raytracing might occur. Is this even a case for photon mapping? I have
never been in modeling a convex reflector, for architecture this is not
a typical example in our days, so I am curious about what you propose...

CU Lars.