[Radiance-general] Radiance tool and Atrium daylight simulation

Jiangtao Du jiangtao.du at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 23:32:11 CEST 2007

Hi, friends,

  I am a post-graduate student in Sheffield University. My project is atrium daylighting and I want to simulate atrium daylight using Radiance. As a beginner of this tool, I have many questions:

  1. Do you think Ecotech 5.5 with Desktop Radiance control panel (the newest version ) is the right tool to do my atrium research? I like using it for its clear GUI, but if it could finish similar work and achieve the same results as its UNIX/LINUX brother?

  2.  I think a lot of complex atrium roofs have to be researched and constructed in my project, if UNIX/LINUX Radiance is the most suitable tool? If Linux version is good, could I use the Radiance on Cygwin Environment?

  3. Someone has told me that Radiance in Adeline is a cut-version, but I found some atrium daylight papers which have used this tool (Anca D. Galasiu, Morad R. Atif from Canada, B. Calcagni, M. Paroncini from Italy). How about your opinion?

  4. Mac Radinace is a new choice , I found some researchers recommended the Sketchup + Radiance is a good way. Could you compare this with Sketchup (or Autocad) + Ecotech +Radiance?

  Many thanks to your help.

  Jiangtao Du
  Mphi/phd student in School of Arch in Sheffield Univ