[Radiance-general] rtrace -i -I flags

Bleicher, Thomas T-Bleicher at bdp.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 16:04:22 CET 2007

Jelle.

As Giullio has already explained

-i    will return the value for a 'light meter' at (x,y,z) pointing in
direction (dx,dy,dz)
      Only that one point will be calculated.

-I    will return the value for virtual light meter at (x,y,z) pointing
in direction (dx,dy,dz)
      but it will sample the whole hemisphere around the direction
vector.
      Basically rtrace introduces a virtual plane and turns the 'virtual
light meter' around
      to get the value of a point on this plane. You have to increase
-ab by 1 to get the
      same number of effective bounces as with '-i'.

Try a simple scene with both options and low -ab values (0,1,2).

If you print origin and direction of the rtrace ray as well you will see
that '-I' changes
them. Quite confusing if you're not prepared for it.

Thomas