[Radiance-general] rtrace -i -I flags

Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research jelle.feringa at ezct.net
Fri Mar 2 15:37:50 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm running a simulation with rtrace, where I've set -I to compute
irradiance rather than radiance values.

Though reading the man pages, I do find the explanations of the flags
somewhat confusing:

-i

Boolean switch to compute irradiance rather than radiance values. This only
affects the final result, substituting a Lambertian surface and multiplying
the radiance by pi. Glass and other transparent surfaces are ignored during
this stage. Light sources still appear with their original radiance values,
though the -dv option (below) may be used to override this. This option is
especially useful in conjunction with ximage (1) for computing illuminance
at scene points.

-I

Boolean switch to compute irradiance rather than radiance, with the input
origin and direction interpreted instead as measurement point and
orientation.

In what cases should one use the -i flag and in which cases is -I the
preferred option?

I find it hard to make the distinction from the docs.

Thanks,

-jelle