[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance Software

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:38:24 CET 2007

Hi André,

I forwarded your question to the radiance-general discussion list,
asking if anyone there is on the Good Lighting forum.  Since no one
responded as yet, I assume they're either busy or the overlap is the
empty set.  It might behoove you to subscribe to radiance-general at
www.radiance-online.org so you can get future questions answered there.

Radiance is well-supported on Mac OS X, and the precompiled 3.8
"universal" binaries with instructions on installation may be found
at the main website:

	http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/download.html

You should download both the complete distribution with source code
and the rad3R8_macosx.tar.gz link.  Once you unpack the main
distribution, you'll want to run "makealll library" from a Terminal
window in the main "ray" directory.  Then, move the unpacked binaries
to a /usr/local/bin or similar directory and add this to your shell's
path.  Radiance is a suite of command-line tools, so if you are
unfamiliar with Terminal and X11, they will undoubtedly give you
trouble.

The best reference for the system is still "Rendering with Radiance,"
edited by Larson and Shakespeare.  Charles Ehrlich, the author of the
lighting chapter, worked diligently to make this book available
through a print-on-demand service, which seems to have dropped us at
the moment, so getting a copy is problematic.  I suggest you write to
Amazon (see <http://tinyurl.com/ycajwm>) or BookSurge.com telling
them you would like one if you don't have the book already.

Best of luck.
-Greg