[Radiance-general] eulum to ies

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Sun Dec 30 05:45:01 PST 2007

On 29 Dec 2007, at 01:05, loscotec@@libero..it wrote:

> Hy everybody !
>
> Does exist a way to convert directly from .eul (eulum) files
> to .rad files?
>
> In any case, how do you suggest me to obtain that conversion?

Steve has already mentioned Carsten Bauer's eulum2ies. I have used
it a few times with good results.

I don't think it matters which converter you use. There is a lot of
information in these files but for ies2rad you only need the the
distribution. The luminaire is considered to be a point source so
even the shape info is not required unless you do glare calculations.

> Right now I'm using "ies2tab -ei" to convert from eulum to ies and
> then ies2rad to convert form .ies to .rad but ies2rad is reporting:
> "warning - no lamp type .. "

ies2rad has a limited knowledge on lamp types. The search patterns are
defined in the "lamp.dat" file in your Radiance installation.
Manufacturers
now tend to use a product name in their lamp specification which is
harder to identify.

If ies2rad fails to identify the lamp type it prints this warning
and uses a default lamp type with neutral white colour. This is
fine for most simulations (in particular Lux levels). When you're
interested in the actual rendering of the lamp colour you can use the
-t option of ies2rad to tell it which lamp type to use. Look in the
'lamp.dat' file for the specification.

Please not that you only have to worry about this if you have different
lamp types in your scene. You can also change the colour balance of
an existing image to simulate this effect with pfilt.

> Maybe this is normal, but in any case, having just one conversion
> would
> be probably better..

Support for new data file formats would be nice but given the number
of conversion tools out there it's probably not worth the effort.

Happy new year.

Thomas