[Radiance-general] About mimic human visual response

Huangwx at Kyoto Univ. ap.huangwx at archi.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Apr 13 08:54:38 CEST 2007

Dear friends,

I am new to radiance. I have a some question about mimicking human visual response.

I have read part of the book "Rendering with Radiance", and it said that the mechamism of human eye to
adapt outside world has not been very well understood. So I wonder if anyone can give me some information
on the recent development in this area, to what extent it has been understood nowadays? Are there any websites or books I can refer to?

I noticed that now the digital cameras can perform auto white balance, and auto exposure, do they also
mimic the human eye response? I mean do they compress the dynamic range?

One more question is that I tried to use pcond program, I found that the option of -h and -e could not work together, I mean I can not mimic the human eye response and also adjust the exposure, did I made some mistakes?

Best wishes.

Yours,
Huang