[Radiance-general] Re: ambient setting for very large scenes

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Fri Sep 29 15:40:11 CEST 2006

Hi Jelle,

Well here is a question. I am not sure how large the interior spaces are
that you are trying to show but wouldn't using illums (mkillum) at the
openings enable one to get a reasonable (for the purposes of this study)
approximation of ambient light while using a lower set of overall
ambient terms?

-Jack

Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research wrote:

> Hi!
>

> Thanks so much for the overwhelming replies!
>

> Absurd it is. This is a problem when you have a scene like yours. You
>
> want some distant object or scenery to be visible out the window, for
>
> example, so you put it in your model and then the images seem really
>
> flat or have light leaks because the -ar isn't high enough. One thing
>
> you could do is cheat, and place the objects closer to your area of
>
> interest than they really are, scaling them up a bit. This works for
>
> treelines and things like that, anyway. Another would be to exclude the
>
> distant objects from the ambient calculation with the -ae option, the
>
> problem there (and maybe some folks here have input on this) is that
>
> your objects are outside, your area of interest is inside, so your -av
>
> is likely to be too low for the exterior objects (which is how all the
>
> indirectly lit surfaces derive their radiance information when their
>
> materials are on the -ae list).
>

> -ar 5000 would take forever to render!
>

> Actually, it wasn't *that* bad! An hour and a half (fairly lo-res, but
> good enough for its purpose) wasn't that dramatic, so I suppose that
> the algorithm for getting a reasonable --ar setting really is quite
> ok! Still I'm sure that there are more intelligent strategies rather
> than brute-force computing power...
>
> I'm interested to get fairly optimal ambient settings since I'm
> producing a sun path study, so I need to render quite a quantity of
> imagery here...
>
> //if fellow pythoniasts on the list are interested in my script, let
> me know, it would be interesting the have a
>
> //a solid python script for sun-path that runs beautifully
> cross-platform & on multi-core machines...
>

> Good luck, Jelle.
>

> Thanks Rob!
>

> Hi Rob and Jelle,
>

> Although I have not tried this, what about rendering a light probe of
>
> the exterior environment (using parameters suitable for an exterior
>
> scene) and then using the light probe to supply the background for the
>
> interior scene?
>

> -Jack
>

> Hey Jack!
>

> That's an interesting suggestion!
>
> Although since I'm producing a sun path study, HDR isn't really the
> way to go, it be fairly work-intensive ;')
>
> Interesting idea though, did you apply this technique perhaps in some
> of the work shown on your site?
>

> Well there you go. However, we do not what exactly Jelle's objectives
>
> are with respect to numeric accuracy.
>

> It's in-between; my goal is to give architects accurate feedback about
> the lighting conditions on the project they're working on. Their
> interest is a more visual interest than numerical. Missing a couple of
> lux isn't too problematic, the idea is to be able to communicate the
> lighting conditions in the building in a visual & fairly accurate manner.
>

> Hi Lars!

> [...]

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction