[Radiance-general] ambient setting for very large scenes

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Sep 28 21:40:52 CEST 2006

Hey Rob,

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:
> Jack de Valpine wrote:
>> Hi Rob and Jelle,
>>
>> Although I have not tried this, what about rendering a light probe of
>> the exterior environment (using parameters suitable for an exterior
>> scene) and then using the light probe to supply the background for
>> the interior scene?
>
> Hiya Jack,
>
> This was discussed at length on this list a couple years ago, I
> started the thread and I think my feeble understanding of lightprobes
> caused the discussion to get a bit scattered.  Bottom line: there are
> issues with this approach, especially if you are going for numeric
> accuracy, but I also think that Greg's mksource addition may have
> solved some of that (as I understand it, mksource is sorta like a
> "mkillum for lightprobes").

Well there you go. However, we do not what exactly Jelle's objectives
are with respect to numeric accuracy. I would suggest to anyone
interested to go back and read both May and June threads as Rob points
out below. It is very interesting and suggests the method of mapping
directly to the interior window surfaces to get both the environment
mapping as well as the distribution output. I had been thinking of
mapping to a source.
> I still do not have a fisheye lens so my lightprobe experiments...
> have not begun.  Jack, I was really impressed with your presentation
> at the Workshop (actually, I was impressed with all of the ones I've
> read so far!), it renewed my interest in playing around with that stuff.
Thanks! We are working on another night lighting project now where I
hope to use similar techniques. One thing that is intriguing from a
design standpoint, is when the architect says the want to try out some
different things, the possibility is to actually run rtcontrib with all
the needed sources (including optional ones and "what if") and then
generating various images shows the possible scenarios as a result.
> Sliding off the topic a bit, has everyone seen the new Canon PowerShot
> G7 that's coming out next month?  It looks really nice, with film
> emulation up to ASA1600, and the all-important autobracket for us HDR
> heads, in a compact size (and a separate film speed dial!).  With a
> 10mp sensor, I'm really curious to see how well the ASA1600 pics come
> out, but even a low-noise 800 would make me really happy.  Guess I'll
> wait 'till the folks at www.dpreview.com put it through its paces...
>
> Anyhoo, the thread I mentioned way back in the first paragraph of this
> reply begins here:
> http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2003-May/000818.html

This is a great thread, I recommend it....