[Radiance-general] instance primitive & xform

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 22:34:38 CEST 2006

Hi Jelle,

The -a option is supported by xform, only.  When it is applied, xform
replaces a single file with many copies, each using the -i option to
indicate how many times to apply each transform.  In short, you need
to create a file with a single instance in it and call it using !
xform with the -a option to get multiple copies.

Be sure to pay attention to the tips in the reference manual <http://
radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/refer/ray.html#Surfaces> about when and how
to use instances.  In particular, instances work best with cubicle
volumes (ideal) or at least square-ish pieces to avoid too many
overlapping instance boundaries, which are always cubes.

-Greg