[Radiance-general] ambient resolution and memory

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Sep 15 09:12:54 CEST 2006

Hi Jack!

It is a highly detailed model of an antique church with awful materials.
  The rendering is done on the cluster, but the rendering time of 2
weeks is per cpu.

> Yes, you can do this but NOT for all ambient parameters.  You should be
> able to make some adjustments to  aa, ad and as, for example:
>
> overture calc: -aa .15 -ad 1024 -as 512
> image:            -aa .25 -ad 512 -as 256

That was what I wanted to do, as it will save a lot of time (I have 70
images to render, and if only the ouverture needs high ambient settings,
following images will render much faster.

> How many ambient bounces are you using? I think for an interior scene
> with illums at the window openings you should be able to set -ab 1....

Yes, I am playing with 2 bounces at the moment, but then it is
impossible to get results. I used -ab 1 before. I already have exlde
lists for the ambient calculation. The glow for illumination is a nice
idea, if I just want to see the position of light sources. But if they
are to illuminate the scene?

I was thinking of making even heavier use of mkillum. First, bundling
the light sources, so that there will be hundreds, not thousand, at
least in the indirect calculation. Than it may make sense to divide the
interior with illum panes, so that e.g. the light contributed from the
galleries to the main room is precomputed by mkillum. Finally I may end
by dividing the whole scene in virtual rooms seperated by illum panes?

Is there a patch for current radiance that allows an alternative
modifier (like void) for the indirect calculation? That is available in
Radzilla and might be very helpful, as I have colorpict maps on most
surfaces.

Thanks & CU Lars.