[Radiance-general] Acad2004 Exporters?

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Sep 14 16:14:59 CEST 2006

Hi Mark,

There are a few ways to get obj from cad. I presume that you are
probably using Autocad.

   1. use an intermediate package such as polytrans from www.okino.com -
      we have used this and it works fine for surface models, though the
      workflow is different
   2. consider a obj exporter such as from www.fpsols.com - I have only
      looked into this a bit. I am not sure how the export organizes
      data, that is are objects determined based on layer/color
      organization or what.

The two radiance obj converter (obj2rad and obj2mesh) seem to work just
fine. So once you have an obj format file then I guess this should be
ok. Obviously one issue centers around correct normal orientation. This
is probably where a full bore translation package such as polytrans can
help out by providing capability to manage the geometry.

I guess I had not thought about Torad for quite some time. How are you
finding the speed of the export process with Torad? I guess the nice
things about this, is that there is probably a group of users who might
be able to support this since we can actually see the source code.

Nevertheless, I would also like to find a good way to deal with ACIS
based solids.

-Jack

Mark de la Fuente wrote:
> How do you get to obj format from cad.  And then once you have a model
> in obj, do you need a certain program to properly export to radiance?
> Or is obj2rad just going to translate everything in the file?
>
> We are looking at Torad.  It still works under 2004.  Looks like there
> are a couple of bugs that needed fixing including allowing the
> interface to run.
>
> Mark

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction