[Radiance-general] The sub-4K second benchmark barrier...

Fitzsimmons, Rob rob.fitzsimmons at Summit.Fiserv.com
Wed Nov 15 20:20:36 CET 2006

I ran Mark's Benchmark test on my iMac 10.4.7 Core2Dou 2.14 GHz 1 GB RAM
with Radiance 3.8 Universal binary and I got times around 9000 seconds.
Seems too long.
I was hoping it would be in the 4K region. Of course I closed the shell
before copying the times, so I don't have the exact number.
For a Core2Duo, does Radiance use both processors, or would I have to use
rad with -N 2?
I know you have to do that with a render farm or any multiple processor
machine, but since the Core2Duo is 2 on one chip, I'm not sure.
For the benchmark itself, I saw Mark only wants single processor results.
Rob F

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Guglielmetti [mailto:rpg at rumblestrip.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:40 AM
To: Radiance general discussion
Cc: Ferdinand Schmid
Subject: [Radiance-general] The sub-4K second benchmark barrier...

...has been broken!

That's right, people.  One of the beloved render farm machines at my office
just turned in a sub-4K second timing on the Mark Stock Radiance benchmark
scene.  SSSssssssss!

What's interesting to note is that there are subtle differences in cpu
speed, even among the same cpu model.  I assume this is due to different
voltage settings on the motherboards, but I'm not positive.  I also wonder
how much of the speedup is attributable to the use of the new official
release of Radiance 3.8.  Another interesting thing is that three of four
benchmarks had the same exact number of rays traced.  I find this a little
odd.

I was hoping Greg and maybe Ferdinand (builder and maintainer of my office's
render farm systems) could weigh in on this.  I have a couple other
benchmark timings and stats to add to the site
(http://mark.technolope.org/pages/rad_bench.html) as well, I was hoping
others have installed the official 3.8 and were doing similar testing.

Happy benchmarking.

- Rob