[Radiance-general] Radiance documentation organization

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Sun Nov 5 02:16:54 CET 2006

Hi All,

I appreciate Thomas' notes and thoughts. I think that people obviously
have a lot to contribute when it comes down to it. I really think though
that we need to just assume that the CMS is going to be Plone. This
looks to be quite a robust tools with a wide range of functionality.
Let's move the discussion up to the next level please.

Again what we need to do is identify what some valuable content areas
are and who can contribute content. Greg has already put some energy
into a preliminary outline of content areas. He can't write everything.
So who out there is ready willing and able? What are you able to
contribute? Where do we have content (papers, presentations, whatever)
that with some editing could be contributed? Where do they fit into the mix?

Here is what Greg, originally suggested in his initial email on the topic:

    I strongly encourage others to rearrange these topics, change names,
    add categories, etc.

OK. I am not sure the best way to keep track of this and/or if there
should be an approval process. We need an item as follows:

Materials

    primitives
    modifiers
    acceptable/typical ranges
    how to correctly define a trans material!
    how to incorporate glazing information from Optics
    procedural materials (eg modifiers using the .cal functional language)
    methods for sampling (measuring) physically materials

Obviously some of this comes from existing content, some of this
probably needs to be updated, some could perhaps be integrated from
other sources (assuming their agreement), for example Georg has a really
excellent diagram/explanation that I think goes a long way to explaining
trans materials, and some needs to be written or codified from multiple
email/list exchanges.

Another possible area where I know at least two other have some interest
(Lars, Francesco and myself at least), running distributed jobs on
computing clusters.

I guess I will leave it here as my thoughts are not extremely well
composed at this point.

Best,

-Jack

--