[Radiance-general] Art work surface

Bleicher, Thomas T-Bleicher at bdp.co.uk
Fri May 26 10:13:23 CEST 2006

Lars O. Grobe:

> I think that is
> why these good old atelier windows were directed to north -
> big surface (diffuse-bright rooms), continous (non-direct)
> light over the day.

They were directed to north because they had to be huge and
you had to avoid direct sunlight. Northern light also varies
not much over the day.

> I am not sure about the sculptures, but I
> think for working on them, the same applies (directional
> light will be nice to present them, but while working could
> be irritating).

Only directional light would indeed be irritating but you
need a certain directional component to render the shape.
Again, use big windows (for the light level) and use them
in one side of the room (for the directional component).
If you can use windows, of couse.

> I wonder if all these great new materials would not be great
> for this kind of project... just thinking about translucent
> insulation panels (these blocks filled with small glass
> tubes), giving diffuse light without the thermal drawback of
> the old atelier window idea...?

No! Don't use that stuff! We had an exhibition pavillion in
my university built with honeycomb insulation between two
glass profiles. The profiles alone might have worked well but
the building inspector insisted in an insulation of the wall.
The honeycombs diffuse the light so much that there is hardly
a directional component left. It looks odd and the sculptures
and architectural modells are shaded poorly even if the interior
is rather bright.

Thomas

This e-mail, (and any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.  It may be read, copied and used by the intended addressee only.  If you have received this in error please contact BDP immediately.

If you have any queries, please contact the sender.