[Radiance-general] Radiance, Ecotect and Daysim

Nick Doylend ndoylend at battlemccarthy.com
Mon May 15 18:52:55 CEST 2006

Hi, I'm having a look at the effect of orientation on daylight availability.
I made four identical models in Ecotect, rotated three of them to get N, S,
E, W facing models.  I exported to Radiance and brought them into Daysim for
analysis.  I was surprised to see identical results for the models.  It
appears that Ecotect doesn't take account of the orientation when it exports
the radiance geometry.  What it does instead is to rotate the (sunny) sky
description.  I guess this is fine for Radiance but Daysim does its own 'sky
thing' and so I guess disregards the exported sky description.

I thought I could rotate the geometry file as required, but I also need to
rotate the sensor grid file.  I can use xform on the geometry file to spin
it round the z axis, but it doesn't appear to work on the grid file.  I read
a little in the archives about using cnt and rcalc to define new grids - it
might work if I thought about it for long enough.  I wonder if there's a
quicker and easier way to transform the grid file.  Is there?

Thanks,

Nick